Friday, November 14, 2008

So Much Water

Is there anything worse in the entire world then stepping unexpectedly onto sopping wet carpet in stocking feet? If there is, I don't want to know. This morning after feeding the fish, I decided to run into the spare room and check email before getting ready for work. I stepped into the doorway of the room and the carpet went "squish". I took another step "squish" and two more "squish, squish" and the water soaked through my socks. I turned and RAN for the telephone and used the intercom to call the landlords (aka my parents) to come down to the apartment immediately and help me trace the source of so much water.

Fortunately, it turned out to be a leaky hose leading the to hot water heater and not the heater itself or a burst pipe or some other awful and expensive problem. The hose was spraying water and appeared to have done so for several hours but nothing was terribly damaged. It did make me a tad late for work. I ran the steam cleaner to pick up the excess water. By the time I stopped, I had filled and emptied the tank five times. It was extremely fortuitous that I had stepped into the spare room at all this morning as we would have had a disastrous mess by this evening if I hadn't! As it is, the spare room carpet will likely smell like a wet yak has moved in there for a week or two. Thank heaven for small mercies.

No comments: